Saturday, December 25, 2004

this is christmas

to set the mood
listening to debussy's claire de lune
feeling the warmth from an appreciative friend
a genuine smile.
what better to do than to catch up with a long time friend on christmas day.
a friend i call my tutor.
i've known her since i was fourteen, now twenty-two.
taught me more than i actually know.
the arts inspired by her, the maths and sciences
on living life, on outlook, on people.
we talked more over dinner, for my parents were gone and my brother was out.
her son was out, husband left, father passed, now taking care of her mother.
to endure is what i have learned from her.
the gifts may not even secondary,
she gave me a poem she composed.

excerpts:

christmas at our house

if i decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows,
strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls,
but do not show love to my family,
i'm just another decorator.

if i trim the spruce with shimmering angels
and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of
holiday parties and sing in the choir's cantata
but do not ponder on the true meaning of love, i have
missed the point.

love stops the cooking to hug the child.
love is kind, it does not demand its own way.

------------------------------------------

a gift is not a gift if there is no thought.
a smile is not a smile if it is not genuine.
christmas is not christmas if without Jesus.

taking the time
and as my tutor, i think i should call teacher, taught me to take the time,
watch the clouds change,
talk to people, not computers,
mend the bonds.
encouragement warms the heart.