Wednesday, December 15, 2004

character

As a student I have always strived to better myself. Through these four years of studying architecture, I have learned much more than design and construction, I have begun to understand the complexities of human nature. Besides the learning component, through these four years, I searched for a true calling appropriate to my strengths, a pursuit that I can strive for. Although I cannot ascertain that I have exactly found my calling and whether I can persist in it, I know I will not compromise my morals and values. I believe that I constitute of a strong sense of justice, and even when I am disadvantaged, I will act according to my principles.

This sense of justice has led to my thesis. It has led to a place where possibly one day I could pursue my career. That place would be inside my thesis building, as a person who would mediate with clients and user groups to design suitable architecture. The book that I purchased this year has led me to the conclusion that good design belongs to everybody. Yet ‘good design’ has always been a controversial topic. That book is entitled, ‘Good Deeds, Good Design.’

I am a practical person, who believes that design is not meant to complicate this world futher, but rather to make it a more plesent and livable. Throughout these four years I have seen projects that are unnecessarily complex and, what I think, excessive. My design intent is to create memorable and unique spaces that are understandable. These would be places that would contain intriguing and meaningful details and gestures reflecting those of Carlo Scarpa.


my professor requested that i write these paragraphs.
contributions are not only from myself,
but from many many others
and the one who has made me unique.
thanks.