Thursday, April 06, 2006

no doubt

i will not doubt though all my ships at sea
come drifting home with broken masts and sails
i will believe the hand that never fails
from seeming evil works to good for me
and though i weep because those sails are tattered
still i will cry while my best hope lies shattered
i trust in thee

i will not doubt though all my prayers return
unanswered from the still white realm above
i will believe it is an all wise love
that has refused these things for which i yearn
and though at times i cannot keep from griving
yet the pure passion of my fixed believing
undimmed will burn

i will not doubt though sorrows fall like rain
and troubles swarm like bees about a hive
i will believe the heights for which i strive
are only reached by anguish and pain
and though i groan and writhe beneath my crosses
yet i will see through my severest losses
the greater gain

i will not doubt anchored is this faith
like some staunch ship my soul braves every gale
so strong its courage that will not fail
to face the mighty unknown sea of death
may i cry though body leaves the spirit
i do not doubt so listening worlds may hear it
with my last breath

and then i was reminded
not to despair
because

how can others be helped
when you can't even help yourself